My Life in Japan

The Ins and outs of my time here in Japan.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

My Deepest Condolences.

Hosted by SparkleTags.com
Today I came across some tragic news whilst reading a friends Blog.
The kind that you wish was not true.
The kind that requires you to sit down and rethink certain things about your life especially in regards to the time that we have or don't for that matter.
It reinforces the notion of just how precious are the times we spend with loved ones whether they be family or friends.
The body of a friend of mine was found yesterday back home in Samoa floating in the sea in Savaii. There is speculation of foul play.
I do not have all the details yet but it is enough for me to know that he is gone. That his life has been snuffed out like a candle. If suspicion holds true that his life came to a unfortunate end at the hands of a heartless killer/s who then disposed of his body in the sea.
How little is their regard for life and obviously no thought for the people to whom this once vibrant life belonged to : such as his parents, family, and especially his poor wife who is also a dear friend of mine. If the autopsy proves it to be an accident it still doesn't take one iota of pain away from a life taken too soon or a relationship torn asunder by the cruelty of death.
Hosted by SparkleTags.com Raponi and Charlene are friends of mine from UPY. I have known Char much longer than I have Raponi coz we had been classmates and friends since Samoa College but when they got married almost a decade later it made things even better.
My head is still swimming and I am telling myself that maybe if I squint my eyes hard enough when I go back to Nydia's blog his name will not be there but this sinking feeling in my stomache is telling me that it is true.
I think of Char and how she may have reacted to the dreadful news and was so overwhelmed with the scene in my head that for a few minutes my vision was blurred!
I tried putting myself in her place and just couldn't, I can not even begin to fathom what she is going through. The immense sorrow, devastating pain.. the emptiness... the million thoughts and questions racing through her mind.
How one, single thoughtless act has taken away the spark from her eyes . Unable to keep her world from crashing and stop the tears that come unbidden. How she must be struggling with the WHY Question that no one has the answers to or one that can satisfy as it won't bring him back!
How was one supposed to know that a trip over to the Big Island would mean Good bye forever!
How many more years had they envisioned together, maybe even children down the line. Dreams and hopes for the future snatched away by a thief (murderer/s) in the night. Robbed of a happy and long life together, deprived of more intimate moments with her husband. Thinking about Charlene's loss is heartbreaking.
Though it does not necessarily make it easier or less painful when we lose someone to old age or illness we are at least comforted by the knowledge that we at least had the time and opportunity to say our good byes and be with them as much as we could but when their life is cut short by an accident or by someone else's savagery it is extremely difficult to accept!
Char my friend, may God give you comfort and strength to weather this difficult storm.
Hosted by SparkleTags.comTo Raponi's parents, family Asau & Vaimoso.

May God's love and grace be upon all of you through this difficult time.

Hey boy,

How time wraps itself around our lives so seamlessly that it feels, as if it were just yesterday that we were in class together, talkin' about what we were gonna be and what we wanted from life. How bright the whole world looked back then, at the old UPY campus in Malifa where we contemplated our futures. How you came to be known as Flash for reasons that never cease to put a smile on my face. How proud you were to point out the special places in Savaii to us ignorant Upolu kids during our Arts Fieldtrip. So full of life, so much to give and live for.

How did it end so tragically my friend? I don't think anyone saw this coming but I know you will be sorely missed by all who have come to call you friend. Those who were captivated by your infectious smile and sense of humor. But there is one who will miss you above all, that special someone who has built her world around your love. Whose life became entwined with yours with the promise of tomorrow but now has to go on alone, your loving Char. Though it seems so unfair that death has robbed you of your life together I believe wherever u are there her love will be, as yours will remain with her forever. I will miss you my friend and it will be hard coming home knowing that you will not be around but Thank You for the great memories I will cherish them for all time.

So long "Flash."..May you find rest and peace in the arms of our Heavenly Father. You will always be remembered.


Hosted by SparkleTags.com

3 lilsifi:

  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger Dik said…

    Japan Rules!!! I love Japan, visit my blg please!!!!

  • At 7:59 AM, Blogger Coconut Girl said…

    Tupe sis. I didn't know Raponi at all...except seeing him at my wedding and around town. But your post made me cry. It's heart breaking to have someone close to you go this way...and at such a time when he was in the prime of his life.

    Raponi was working in Savaii at the courts. He left Apia on Sunday afternoon and started drinking on the ferry to Savaii. He then continued to drink at the place he was staying at in Sapapalii with some friends. These friends say they left him in the evening and he was very very drunk. He said he was going to sleep. The next thing they heard, he was found in the sea.

    They are thinking it was an accidental death. There were minor cuts on his neck and back and alot of bruising which may have been caused by him falling back on the rocks. The beach fales are on stilts in the sea. When it's low tide, all you can see are rocks. The small pathway from the main ground out to the house has no railing. He could've fallen over.

    We saw Charlene yesterday. She was teary-eyed and seemed very much in shock. She saw Tino and burst into tears. I felt so sorry for her.

    That's all we know for now. The post mortem was yesterday. They are still finalizing when the funeral will be. Char's parents are here as well as her sister.

    Hugs and kisses from Tinto.

  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger dasifi said…

    oh Ninny I pray that it was an accident that because of his own excessive drinking has brought about his untimely demise..it doesn't make it any easier but its a comfort of small measure. Knowing that no one deliberately hurt him or that he wasn't in any pain when he passed.
    Thank you for the kind words I hope that Char can find the same loving support all throught this dark period in her life.

    I love you Tinto kisses n hugs for you my angel!!

Post a Comment

<< Home